7/23/13

The D Word

Why splurge on a gym membership when you can work out (and still lose as much) in the comfort of your own home? Especially for a student like me, going to the gym isn't practical at all because I still live on lunch money.

I started working out when I was fifteen but it was inconsistent. I jogged, lifted weights and all that, but I was not 100% committed. Of course, I was still in high school. Nobody takes fitness seriously. When college came, it took me almost three years to fully realize how far behind I was from being healthy. Though I never missed out on being active because of my dancing, it just wasn't enough.


Last April, I decided to throw away my bad habits and started to commit 100% of myself to getting back in shape. The last time I weighed myself, I was a whopping 56kg in a 5'3" stature. Not overweight, but I wasn't really happy with my body. So I started running. For the first three weeks of April, I learned interval running. It was the perfect boost for me because I always see running as a form of meditation. For others a trip to the spa might be their way to rejuvenate, but for me it's lacing up my trainers and going out for a run.

What changed drastically was my diet. For so long I lived on white bread, white rice, junk food, caffeine and carbonated drinks. But after making a commitment to myself, I slowly ticked every piece of crap off my food list. I replaced white bread with whole wheat bread, white rice with brown rice, junk food with fruits and vegetables, and carbonated drinks with good ol' water. It's my fourth month now and I can say that a lot of things changed since I started taking my health more seriously. Looking back, I never would've thought that I can actually achieve my goals. The answer? Well, it's something you can never find at the grocery store.

DISCIPLINE. Yes, boys and girls. You can't go anywhere if you don't pack this in your bag. The discipline to eat clean, train mean, and live lean will get you to your destination. You have to stay motivated if you want to live a happy, healthy life. You have to remember that you are doing this for YOURSELF and not just to please others. You have to get your head in the game. You have to focus. You have to commit to be fit.

It's not going to be easy, it's not going to be fun. You are going to want to give up. DON'T. If you find yourself reaching for another donut, STOP. Mind over matter, that's how you control yourself. Nothing beats the determination of a well-disciplined man. There will be a lot of struggles, failures even, but that's okay. You can always get up and keep on going.

Every once in a while I still treat myself to a cheeseburger, a couple of donuts, a few dark chocolates here and there, a scoop of ice cream… but I always know when to stop. Once you start doing something good for your body, it's important to listen to it all the time.


For me, fitness starts at home. It starts by going for healthier food choices, learning how to do burpees through a workout video, picking up those weights, and waking up feeling determined. Nobody gets fit overnight. If you the D word in every fiber of your being, you are off to a great start. 

Have a nice day! 

              Fitness starts at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment